Education Resources: College for Military Personnel and Family
For centuries, when the call went out to help our country in need, brave men and women have always answered the call and served in the military. These calls have gone out in times of trouble as far back as the American Revolution and have continued to be answered in conflicts such as the Civil War, World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War and continues today with the United States involvement in other areas of the world. These soldiers have taken this call to action during times of war and peace as a way to help the country.
As a way of thanking our soldiers for leaving their homes, families, jobs and comfort of home for taking up the cause of the military, the U.S. Government was looking for a way to reward them. In 1944, the government enacted the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act to help returning servicemen coming home from World War II. This package of benefits was the first way that the government has recognized the work of our servicemen.
Over time the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944 has undergone many changes with increased benefits for soldiers and families. Through the years the bill has become known as the GI Bill and has benefited countless servicemen and women in transitioning from the military service to everyday civilian life. These benefits include loans, expenses and payments for establishing businesses, purchasing homes and going to college. All are areas which servicemen and women can use to get back to a normal life.
To learn more about the educational opportunities available to members of the service, we have gathered a number of resources for you to review. We hope this helps members of the military learn about educational opportunities which are available to them.
Montgomery GI Bill (Servicemen’s Readjustment Act of 1944)
- Servicemen’s Readjustment Act Information – Thorough article outlining the history and its impact on military personnel over time.
- GI Bill of Rights – Historical look at the original document that gave servicemen added benefits in 1944.
- Servicemen’s Readjustment Act – Informative page providing an overview of the history and provisions of the Act.
- GI Bill Website – Official federal resource on the provisions and different benefits associated with this bill.
- GI Bill Benefits – Helpful page covering the many benefits of the GI Bill.
- GI Bill of Rights – Overview of the origin and changes that occurred in the GI Bill of Rights for servicemen and women.
Post 9/11 GI Bill
- Post 9/11 GI Bill – Informative source of information from the government on the value of the post 9/11 bill.
- Benefits and Programs – Information on the different aspects of the post 9/11 GI Bill.
- Bill Overview – Simple explanation of the overview of the changes to the GI Bill implemented after 9/11.
- Post 9/11 Bill Guide – Video explaining the benefits and changes in the GI Bill.
- Post 9/11 Bill – Helpful resource from the government on the changes to the GI Bill and what is new.
- New GI Bill Calculator – Information and a benefit calculator on the new Post 9/11 GI Bill.
- Scholarship Finder – Useful tool to assist military personnel in finding available scholarship offers.
- Scholarships for Military Children – Helpful page providing information on how families of military personnel can find scholarships.
- Military Scholarship Lists – Informative site with information and guidance in getting a military scholarship.
- College Scholarships – Site providing information and resources in finding scholarships for military personnel.
- Scholarships for Military Personnel – Information on programs that are available for military personnel.
- Military Scholarships – Database of information and opportunities in getting a military scholarship.
Military Tuition Assistance
- Tuition Assistance Program – Overview of the programs available to the military.
- Tuition Assistance Information – Portal of information and resources for military personnel in helping find tuition assistance.
- Military Tuition Assistance – Information on programs for military personnel in getting tuition assistance.
- Army Education – Useful site with information on education programs available through the Army.
- Tuition Assistance Rules – Informative page from the Department of Defense discussing tuition assistance rules.
- Spouse and Family Education – Informative site with an overview of the benefits for the education of spouse and family members.
- Family Education Benefits – Helpful site explaining the benefits for families under the GI Bill.
- Spouse and Family Benefits – Information for families of military personnel on education opportunities.
- Soldiers and Family Resources – Useful information for military personnel and family in learning about education opportunities.
Additional Benefits and Information
- Using GI Bill Benefits – Useful information on the various components of the GI Bill and how to use them effectively.
- GI Bill Benefits – Helpful overview of the various benefits that are available to veterans through the GI Bill.
- Options and Benefits – Information on various options and benefits that the military have available with the GI Bill.
- Benefit Calculator – Resource providing an estimate on the benefits available to servicemen.
More About College for Military Personnel
- Military Students and the Government Shutdown
- Seven Tips for Transitioning from a Military to a Civilian Career
- Common College Perks for Military Personnel
- What is the Montgomery GI Bill "Top-Up" Benefit - And Do You Qualify?
- Members of the Military: Does Your School Qualify for GI Bill Assistance?
- Six Things You May Not Have Known About the Military Tuition Assistance Program
- Military and Veteran Students: Getting Funding for Education Outside the Federal Government
- The GI Bill Consumer Awareness Act: How it Helps Veterans