Back to College: An Adult Education Guide
Graduating from high school is a major turning point for many people. It's the point in people’s lives where they are no longer "a kid" and start facing the realities of an adult life. One of the first decisions that teens need to face when graduating is what to do with their life. For many the choice is to continue their education at a college or university. But for many others, due to a number of factors, they make the decision to not continue with school and to enter the work force or military service.
By delaying going to college many people use that time to get a job and start to earn some money. Others go into the military service and start exploring possible career fields. And still others take the time to get married and begin a family. Regardless of the reason to delay going to school it is generally a good idea to delay college if the student is not motivated to continue.
Today many people delay going to college anywhere from a few years up until they have retired from a job and have reached their senior citizen years. Plus, with emerging technology in online and distance education, students can begin an education without physically going to college. This opens up a world of potential and possibilities for adult students looking to receive a college education. And, with the right degree, they are on the way to new career opportunities.
To help adult students in the decision-making process, we have put together a selection of helpful links. Please feel free to browse through the resources and we hope this helps make a decision about delaying college.
Going Back to School
- Why Attend College? - Very informative government publication providing reasons why either teens or adults should attend college and when.
- Parents and Teens College Decision - Helpful page providing information on how to attend school, plus helping with the decision to put off college or not.
- Adult Education Decisions - A helpful look at the decisions that adults face when deciding to go back to college.
- Going Back to College - Web page providing information on how adults can get started on the road to going back to school.
- Back to School Fears - Information on common fears those adults have about returning to school and ways to conquer those fears.
- Going Back to College - Collection of ten tips to help adults returning to school to ease in the transition to college.
- College and Young Adulthood - Useful page for students who delay entering college and why it can be beneficial.
Selecting a Major
- Choosing a Major (PDF) – Informative article providing information on how to select a major based on your personality.
- Choosing Your Major – Helpful page with steps to take to make a decision on choosing a major.
- Choosing the Right Program – Useful site giving adult student’s information on continuing their education.
- College Planning for Adults – Information for adult students giving them help in planning for college.
- Choosing a College Major – Helpful information for all students in helping them come up with a major in college.
- What Should I Major In? – Useful quiz that helps determine a college program that is right for the student.
Selecting a School
- Choosing a College – Information on how to narrow down you college choices and eventually select one.
- How to Choose an Adult College – Helpful article with general information to ask yourself when selecting a college.
- Going Back to School – Informative page from the ACT testing site providing information for adults going back to school.
- Continuing Education – Useful information for students who are 24 and over on going back to school.
- Distance Education – Pros and cons of using online learning as opposed to the traditional college classes.
- Applying for Colleges – Useful site giving an overview of the application process for adult students.
- Adult Applications – Information on how adults applying for college vary from younger student applications.
- Application Process – Listing of the typical process needed for an adult student attending a college.
- Back to School – Information for adults on what they need to do to attend school.
- Adult College Admissions – Helpful page providing a look at what is needed to apply to school.
- College Resources – Helpful site with information that is useful to adults who are going back to school.
- Resources for the Adult Student – Wide ranging collection of useful information for students going back to school.
- Adult Education Resources – Useful collection of resources for adult learners.
- Adult Education and Career Resources – Information for the adult student and their career paths.
- Career Resources – Supporting information for adults looking for career resources and opportunities.
- Career Resource Page – Site providing information on a number of career choices for people.
- Colleges and Career Guide – Listing of colleges and career paths that they can help to provide.
More About College Basics
- How to Go to College For Free
- Are You Undermining Your Own Education? Five Bad Habits to Break
- College Credit for Massive Online Open Courses? It's Possible
- Should Colleges Charge More for Some Majors Than Others? Pros and Cons
- Should You Switch Majors Midway Through College? Pros and Cons
- What is a Bachelor of Applied Science Degree - and Is It Right For You?
- Rejected from Your Top-Choice School? What to Do
- Four Types of Colleges That Reject Almost No One