In this five-module online course, you will get an understanding of the fundamentals of energy before going on to receive a detailed primer on how your home uses energy and how to reduce your energy consumption and make your home more comfortable. Whether you are concerned with residential or small business applications, after this course you will understand how your home or business uses energy, acquire useful knowledge about the traditional sources of energy, and how to do a home energy audit or hire a professional to do one. Methods of making your home more energy efficient will be discussed. Finally, you'll get an understanding of the basic types of renewable energy available. Student has access for 60 days but may complete the course sooner.
Module 1: Energy Fundamentals
- Fundamentals of energy
- Energy units and power
- Forms of energy
- Sources of home energy
Module 2: Home Energy Use
- How homes use energy
- Climate control
- Water heating
- Lighting and electric applications
- Estimating electricity use
- Power ratings for appliances
Module 3: Auditing your home's energy
- About home energy audits
- Professional audits
- Do-it-yourself energy audits
- Determining your annual energy use
- Looking for air leaks
Module 4: Improving home energy efficiency
- Energy efficiency
- Improving the building envelope
- Windows, doors, skylights
- Home energy conservation measures
Module 5: Alternative Energy
- Cost/benefit of renewable energy
- Solar energy
- Solar water heating
- Passive solar
- Solar electricity
- Wind turbines
- Purchasing green power
At the conclusion of this class, students will be able to:
- Recognize the basic characteristics of energy and power.
- Exhibit knowledge about how your home uses energy, and where that energy comes from.
- Conduct a do-it-yourself Home Energy Audit, or hire a professional to do one for you.
- Identify ways to improve the energy efficiency of your home.
- Recall the basic types of renewable energy and choose those that might be realistic options for further investigation
Each module in this course has a brief quiz the student must pass with a score of 75% or better to demonstrate their understanding of the material. Additionally, students have activities and optional assignments to work on throughout to reinforce the information presented.
complete course 3 Hours
available 60 Days